TAMPA BAY ADVERTISING HERITAGE
Back in the early 1900s, when advertising professionals identified a need to join together for the protection and promotion of their trade, the Advertising Association of the West (AAW) and the Advertising Federation of America (AFA) were formed.
These two trade organizations worked to raise the standards of advertising through education and self-regulation.
In 1911 the AFA organized a national vigilance committee and launched the “truth in advertising” movement, the forerunner of the Better Business Bureau. The advent of commercial air travel and advances in telecommunications enabled AAW and AFA to better coordinate their efforts when dealing with the federal government, and eventually to coalesce, forming what we affectionately know today as the American Advertising Federation (AAF) in 1967.